Turn the Page!
Previous post

Locked Out

Locked Out

Locked Out

Last month I celebrated my 2-year anniversary of southern living…yaayyy! After many, many years of enduring a long commute, I made the decision to shift to more southern pastures… Nothing like moving from a 90 minute commute to a 12 minute one (turn to your neighbor and say “Yes Girl Yes”!).

During my relocation process (and I do mean process, more to come on that in future posts), I made weekend trips back and forth as I wrapped up the sale of my home. Each weekend, me and my pup (and by pup I mean a 75-pound pit/boxer bruiser) would make the trip back up north to check on my home, take care of local business and then head back down south – in order to be ready for work on Monday morning.

With my belongings nicely tucked away in storage during the transition, one of my dearest friends was kind enough to allow me and my 75-pound bruiser, a.k.a. Sydney, to stay at her family’s home. So each weekend, he had a very nice home away from home to reside in for the quick, 24-hour trip. A beautiful, fully furnished basement was Sydney’s place of residence until it was time to do to just like Kenny Rogers famously filled the airwaves with “…on the road again, just can’t wait to get on the road again…”

There was just one problem…

…one of the inhabitants, my Godson, was not too fond of little or big bruisers. Matter of fact, he was flat out scared of dogs. One such encounter stands out in my mind. Per usual, I was in the basement attending to Sydney. When finished, I headed back upstairs only to find out that the door had been locked. You see, my Godson’s fear of dogs had prompted him to lock out the dog as well as me…just in case he escaped my grasp and headed upstairs.

He’s my Godson – a role that I take seriously. That being the case, I would never let anything happen to him in my presence. Likewise, having Sydney from the age of 7 weeks, I am definitely capable of handling and managing him. So even though I was his protector, I’d never let anything hurt him and I am well equipped to handle his source of fear (Sydney)…while locking up his fear, he locked me up as well.

That doggone fear is an

amazingly powerful thing.

It can distort reality,

blur perceptions and plain ol’

change truth to a falsehood.

Interestingly enough though, fear is in the eyes of the beholder. What completely terrifies one person can have absolutely no effect on someone else. For example, horror flicks…I JUST DON’T DO THEM! I don’t send for them, so they need not come for me.

For those 80s (and maybe 90s) kids, allow me to jog your memory back to an absolutely terrifying set of movies…do you remember Freddy from Nightmare on Elm Street, Jason from Friday the 13th, Jack Nicholson from the Shining and let’s not leave out The Exorcist and Carrie? Honeyyyy, they absolutely terrified me! To this day, they would jack up my sleep. If I were to watch any of those films, you couldn’t tell me that Freddy wasn’t coming around the corner and that every noise I heard wasn’t Jason with his crew of Carrie and Jack Nicholson in hot pursuit of me. I just can’t do it!

And even though I know that Jason, Freddy, Jack nor Carrie are physically present in my home, the fear that has amassed in my mind, shifts my perception to the reality that those jokers are lurking just around the corner.

And that, my beauties, is how

fear does its best work.

Much like the fear that my Godson had for Sydney, which led him to lock out the one person that would protect him AND much like my perception that the horror flick stars had descended upon my home led me to being paralyzed, fear left unmanaged has the power to turn a complete falsehood with no basis in reality, into full blown truth.

So my questions to you today, Peculiar Chix, are who or what have you allowed your fear to lock out of your life? And what false perception of fear has paralyzed you and stopped forward movement in particular areas(s) of your life?

SELAH (pause and ponder on

those questions) **Cue the

“Final Jeopardy Question”

music**

Now that you’ve taken a moment to reflect on those questions, here is the good news!  We always have a word in the bible that can speak to our situation. A go-to scripture off mine for some years regarding fear and/or anxious moments I’ve experienced is in the 4th chapter of the book of Philippians, verses 6-7.

Philippians 4: 6-7 (Easy to Read Version): “Don’t worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks for what you have. And because you belong to Christ Jesus, God’s peace will stand guard over all your thoughts and feelings. His peace can do this far better than our human minds.”

Philippians 4: 6-7 (Amplified Version): “Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God. And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [is yours].”

SIDEBAR: Here is a great website to look up scriptures in tons of different versions: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/

Ladies, let me tell ya…

…it is so good to know that we have a friend, that we can invite into all of our life stuff. He is a gentleman, so he won’t bogard His way into our lives. However, when we simply crack open the door and share with Him what’s troubling us and what we are fearful of and then thank Him for what we do have…like the faithful friend that He is, he sends over His great friend named “Peace”. Peace, in turn, comes on the scene as a shield – vigorously fending off the entrance of fear and troubles that are trying to gain access to our hearts and our minds. Whew, thank you for good friends like that!

Don’t lock out ol’ Peace, give Him a try. I have. And I have found Him to more than live up to His name.

Love ya girlie!

Written by

21 Comments
  • Clarissa B says:

I am enjoying every post. Thanks be to God for you and your vision

• Kelli M Oldham says:

Awww so glad to hear that Clarissa. I really appreciate your support and kind words. And I’m grateful that God chose me to relay His words! 🙂

• Cheryl Oldham says:

That ‘peace’ that surpasses ALL understanding. There IS nothing like it.

Thank you for the encouragement. Love ya. Ma.

• Viola says:

Very inspiring and encouraging!

• Danita says:

Awesome. Loved this and so on point!!

• robyn smith says:

This was an awesome post!

• PeculiarChixCEO says:

Hiiiiii Robyn, thanks so much for visiting my blog! It is great to see you in the comments section. Please give my love to your family. Thanks again!

• Karen says:

I have suffered with the fear of “what ifs” for most of my life. This year I decided to embrace the “so whats”. “So what” if it didn’t turn out exactly how I expected, at least I tried. “So what” if they didn’t respond the way I thought they should have, at least I expressed myself. I’ve learned it is much more rewarding to step out in faith than to shrink back in fear. Thanks so much for this confirmation!

• PeculiarChixCEO says:

Ahh Karen, I love that…so what?!!! Congrats on embracing such a powerful statement. Thank you for visiting my blog!

• Angela Jenkins-Thomas says:

I like this topic! I really enjoyed reading it.

• PeculiarChixCEO says:

Angieeee! Aw, thanks so much for visiting my blog. Girl, we go way back…all the way to elementary school and sugar cereals! LOL. Please give my love to your hubby and precious daughter. Thanks again!

• Angela Davis says:

Love this….so true! Thank you for sharing!!

• Denise Davenport says:

Thanks for this uplifting message. Boy did it hit home. Keep them coming.

• PeculiarChixCEO says:

Hey there Ms. Davenport! Thanks so much for being such a great support to me and my family. Glad that it hit home…I love when God knows just what to say. I certainly will keep ’em coming! 🙂

• PeculiarChixCEO says:

• Hi Pastor Kelly,

Thank you so much for this word on overcoming fear. Fear rears its ugly head in so many areas of our lives and sometime we or let me speak for myself, I don’t realize it is fear. I think of it as something that I just don’t want to do. However, when I take a closer look at the situation – fear is lurking in the background. So I have decided to fight back to overcome the fear with knowledge, training and gaining experience. Your post was a confirmation in my moving forward. And the translations of the scripture especially in the Easy to Read Version is very powerful and reassuring. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

• PeculiarChixCEO says:

Terukooooo!!! So great to see your name in the comments section. Many thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. You’re absolutely correct, we all find ourselves dealing with fear…and sometimes we justify it away as just something we aren’t interested in doing. Thank God for various translations and I’m so glad to hear that God was able to confirm your decision to fight back and overcome fear. Love ya!